1. I was injured on the job. What do I do now?

  • Report the injury to your supervisor immediately
  • Seek medical attention, if necessary
  • Notify your employer immediately, but no later than 72 hours after having sustained an injury
  • File a Report of Injury with Workers’ Compensation within 10 days
  • Complete the form in its entirety, preferably with your employer. Ensure all information is correct. You must sign your report form!
  • Upon receipt, the Division will assign you a 9-digit case number. You must give this number to all your health care providers so they may bill the Division directly for injury related medical care.

2. Where are Workers’ Compensation field offices located?

For the convenience of our customers, we have field offices located across the state.

3. My employer says I have to see their doctor, do I?

Yes you do, but you may also chose a doctor of your choice. Once you have chosen a primary healthcare provider, you may not change without prior written approval by the Division or a referral from your health care provider.

4. Where should I send a Workers’ Compensation injury report?

Mail injury reports to the P.O. Box address below.

Wyoming Workers’ Compensation Division

5221 Yellowstone Road, Cheyenne, WY 82002

Send mail to this address: P.O. Box 20207, Cheyenne WY 82003

(307) 777-7441

(307) 777-6552 Fax

(888) 996-9226 Fraud Hotline


5. Where should I send correspondence regarding Workers’ Compensation?

Please use the information below to send correspondence.

Wyoming Workers’ Compensation Division

5221 Yellowstone Road, Cheyenne, WY 82002

Send mail to this address: P.O. Box 20207, Cheyenne WY 82003

(307) 777-7441

(307) 777-6552 Fax

(888) 996-9226 Fraud Hotline

6. What Workers’ Compensation medical treatments are limited or not allowed?

The following are considered personal items and not covered:

  • Clothing
  • Footwear, unless such items are professionally altered to accommodate the compensable injury
  • Hot tubs, spas or any other devices wherein water is heated and/or circulated
  • Programs, aids, medications or dietary supplement primarily intended to help the worker lose weight
  • Exercise equipment
  • Bed, mattresses or mattress toppers
  • Recliners or lift chair
  • Vitamins or herbs
  • Health Clubs
  • Experimental Care

The following medical treatments are limited:

  • Acupuncture – Acupuncture must be performed by doctor of medicine, chiropractor, osteopath or advance practitioner of nursing, certified to perform acupuncture and has submitted proof of certification to the Division
  • Biofeedback
    • The services must be prescribed by your treating physician;
    • Performed by a professional with a current certification from the Biofeedback Certification Institute of America (BCIA)
    • The number of sessions is limited. Your provider should contact the Division for spefics
  • Massage Therapy – Only permitted when performed under the direct supervision of a lilcensed physical therapist and is in conjunction with other therapy modalities

7. How do I find out the status of my Workers’ Compensation case?

There are two methods:

  1. You can access your case informaton online at PIERS (Providers, Injured Workers and Employers Reporting System)
  2. The second option is to call our main office at (307) 777-7441 and step through the automated phone system prompts to the information you need. You will also be able to find the case analyst assigned to your case and the number they can be reached

Both of these methods will require you to have your Social Security Number, Date of Injury, and Birthdate.

8. What is an Independent Medical Exam? Do have to attend?

Medical examinations may be requested by either the Division or your employer. The examination is a medical evaluation of your condition. If an assessment of your permanent physical impairment is required, you will receive an impairment rating. However, the doctor providing this examination/assessment will not be taking over your medical care. You should continue to see your primary health care provider.

Failure to attend all medical examinations scheduled by the Division could jeopardize your benefits.

You will receive written notification with whom, where, and when this examination/assessment will take place.

You may qualify for travel reimbursement to attend an independent medical examination.

9. I’m going to be off work, how do I get paid for my lost wages?

You may qualify for Temporary Total Disability (TTD) benefits if you are unable to work as a result of your work-related injury; TTD benefits are not allowed for the first three (3) days of disability unless you are off more than eight (8) days. You must apply for TTD benefits using an Application for Temporary Total Disability. A report of injury is not a claim for TTD benefits.

  • You complete the top portion (remember to sign and date)
  • Your healthcare provider completes the lower portion
  • Upon completion, submit the form to the Division

TTD benefits are the equivalent of 2/3 of your gross monthly wage at the time of injury, but cannot exceed the Statewide Average Wage for the quarter you were injured. TTD benefits are not taxable.

TTD Incentive: Monthly benefits may increase by 3% of all of medical care is received entirely in Wyoming, or if the distance from your residence to an in-state health care provider is at least one hundred (100) miles greater than the distance from the employee’s residence to an out-of-state medical provider. This also applies if the employer has a contractual agreement withan out-of-state provider.

TTD benefits are paid twice a month with one-half (1/2) of the monthly award paid on or about the 15th of the month and one-half (1/2) paid on or about the 30th of the month. During the time you are on TTD you must:

  • Keep in contact with your analyst,
  • Be involved in an active treatment program,
  • Attend all appointments

10. Can I get reimbursed for my travel?

The Division will reimburse travel expenses for travel to the closest available medical or hospital care needed to treat your work related injury.

If you must travel to obtain medical services, you will be reimbursed at authorized rates published in the current Wyoming Workers’ Compensation Rules and Regulations and Fee Schedule.

You must submit a reimbursement voucher and attach the original receipts for meals and lodging. You must also attach verification of your appointment from your healthcare provider.

  • Travel reimbursement shall NOT be paid for:
  • Travel less than 10 miles one-way
  • Travel other than that necessary to obtain the closest available medical or hospital care need
  • Travel to pick up prescriptions or x-rays
  • Claims submitted after one year from the date of travel
  • Travel, other than motor vehicle, unless arrange by your analyst
  • For persons other than the injured worker, unless medical necessity is established by the treating healthcare provider. A letter of medical necessity must be attached to the reimbursement voucher

11. My Workers’ Compensation case is closed, how do I re-open it?

After a period of inactivity, cases will automatically close. Upon receipt of new medical reports, the Division reviews the information and determines if it is related to the Workers’ Compensation injury. If the decision is made that it is relate, your case is automatically reopened and the current bills paid. If more information is need prior to reopening, the analyst will request the information by letter.

If there is no activity on your case for over 4 years, benefits are terminated unless medical documentation is received substantiates the claim and proved by competent medical authority and to a reasonable degree of medical certainty that the condition is directly related to the original injury and then the case is opened for medical benefits only.

The Division will not pay for annual physicals, yearly rechecks that are done for the sole purpose of keeping your claim active. Annual visits and well checks are not reasonable and necessary medical expenses. It is your responsibility to pay for an evaluation of your physical well being.

12. What if I disagree with the decision on my eligibility for benefits?

You have the right to file a protest or to appeal any disqualifying determination. The appeal must be postmarked within 15 days of the date the determination notice was mailed to your address of record. Your appeal must be in writing requesting a hearing. If a hearing is held, you will need to participate by phone or in person. The hearing will give you and other interested parties the opportunity to present testimony. The hearing officer will later issue a written decision.

13. I need medical treatment, where should I go?

The Division will pay for medical treatment if it is:

  • Directly related to the injury or condition caused by the work activities,
  • Reasonable and necessary

You are responsible for giving your case number to everyone providing medical services related to your work injury. If you are billed by a provider, you will need to contact them with your case number so that they will bill us directly.

You choose your primary healthcare provider (doctor of medicine, chiropractic or osteopathy, optometrist, podiatrist, psychologists or advanced practitioner of nursing). Once you choose your primary healthcare provider, you may not change without a referral from your primary healthcare provider or upon receiving a written final determination of approval from the Division after you have submitted a Request for Change of Health Care Provider form.

When choosing a healthcare provider, you need to keep the following in mind:

  • The Division will only pay mileage reimbursement to the closest available healthcare provider.
  • All medical bills are reviewed, and if appropriate, paid by a fee schedule. Healthcare providers providing services within the State of Wyoming cannot bill you for the charges in excess of the fee schedule.
  • You are responsible for any personal items or treatments not related to your injury.
  • If you choose an out-of-state provider, you may be billed for charges in excess of the fee schedule.

Give your case number to everyone providing medical services for the work-related injury or condition. Medical bills cannot be paid without a case number.

Medical care should be obtained in Wyoming if possible.

TTD Incentive: Your monthly benefit may increase by 3% if all of medical care is received entirely in Wyoming. Please contact your analyst for further information.

All injury related medical bills must be sent directly to the Division by the provider. If you receive a bill, ask the provider to submit the bill directly to the Division.

Once you choose a primary health care provider, you may not change without prior written approval by the Division or a referral from your health care provider.

If you move out of the State of Wyoming, it is your responsibility to find a healthcare provider that will accept you as a patient and bill Wyoming Workers’ Compensation.

14. What medical procedures are covered?

Generally, the Division will pay for medical treatment if it is:

  • Directly related to the injury or condition caused by the work injury
  • Reasonable, necessary and appropriate treatment for the injury
  • The Division may pre-authorize certain medical treatments including non-emergent surgeries. A list of treatments can be viewed at our Preauthorization Program page.

15. What if I disagree with a Final Determination issued by the Workers’ Compensation Division?

If you disagree with any Final Determination letter, you may submit a written request for a hearing by the due date on the Final Determination letter. Include your name, 9-digit case number, current address, what you are objecting to, and a request for hearing. Remember to sign and date your request.