Those Miners willing to accept the critical task and responsibilities of becoming a Mine Foreman or Mine Examiner in the State of Wyoming must first sit for and pass the Certification Exam approved and proctored by the State Mining Council. This exam assesses the applicant’s knowledge of safe work practices, the State rules and regulations regarding mining, and their ability to recognize and safely address hazards within the mining environment.
If you require further assistance, please contact the State Mine Inspector’s Office at (307) 362-5222.
- To sit for the Mine Examiner exam, the applicants must have at least (2) two years of practical mining experience in the type of mine and mineral they seek certification.
- To sit for the Mine Foreman exam, the applicants must have at least (3) three years of practical mining experience in the type of mine and mineral they seek certification.
- Per State regulation, all applicants must be 23 years of age on or before the application deadline of March 31st.
- Applicant must submit a completed application detailing relevant work experience to the State Mine Inspector’s Office for approval.
Mine Examiner and Mine Foreman certifications currently offered:
- Surface Coal Examiner
- Surface Coal Foreman
- Surface Metal/Non-Metal Foreman
- Underground Metal/Non-Metal Examiner
- Underground Metal/Non-Metal Foreman
- Underground Uranium Foreman
- Underground Trona Examiner
- Underground Trona Foreman
- Underground Coal Examiner
- Underground Coal Foreman
- Underground Metal Non-Metal/Petroleum Examiner
- Underground Metal Non-Metal/Petroleum Foreman
The online application portal opens June 1st of each year and closes on March 31st of the following year.
$150.00 per examination.
Current Test Dates and Locations
May 3rd & 4th, 2023, in Green River, WY
May 16th & 17th, 2023, in Gillette, WY
Examination Study Guide
Available on January 1st of each year. The study guide and the State Mining Law Book will be mailed to each approved applicant.