Preventing COVID-19 in workplaces is critical for slowing the spread in our communities and keeping businesses open. There are numerous guidelines for COVID-19 prevention in the workplace, including tailored guidelines for specific industries, occupations, and work-place activities (screening, gatherings, testing, cleaning, etc.). Many are available in multiple languages.
Key sources of information are:
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) – COVID-19 Resource Page
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Guidance for workplaces and businesses
- Wyoming Department of Health – General guidance and guidance for schools and childcare
Employers can contact our free and confidential safety consultation services for assistance with COVID-19 prevention in the workplace.
- Wyoming OSHA Consultation: (307) 777-7786
- Wyoming Workers’ Compensation Safety & Risk: (307) 777-8901
Workers can report COVID-19 health and safety complaints to Wyoming OSHA.
Wyoming employers should support their employees in getting vaccinated. The COVID-19 vaccines are safe, effective and free.
- The Wyoming Department of Health provides answers to frequently asked questions.
- The CDC offers guidance for workplace vaccination programs, including steps to help inform employees and reduce barriers to getting vaccinated.
- The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) provides technical assistance about legal standards that govern employer vaccination programs for COVID-19. These questions and answers can be found in Section K, Vaccinations, of the existing What You Should Know About COVID-19, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Rehabilitation Act, and Other EEO Laws
The November 2021 OSHA COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS) is currently under litigation by several states, including Wyoming. More information will be shared when available.
COVID-19 Workplace Testing
The CDC offers guidance on testing strategies for the workplace. The Wyoming Department of Health offers free workplace tests through Vault Health. Employers seeking support with workplace testing can contact the Wyoming Department of Health by email.
Steps for Every Workplace
All employers should monitor and follow all state and local public health orders or industry regulation affecting their businesses.
- Actively support employee vaccination for COVID-19 using the steps outlined by the CDC.
- Actively encourage employees to get tested and stay home from work when sick with COVID-19 symptoms.
- Understand workplace risk using the OSHA Framework, and community transmission risk using the Wyoming County Transmission Indicators. This information provides the context for workplace prevention.
- Routinely review workplace guidance and any industry-specific guidance from the Wyoming Department of Health, OSHA and the CDC. Implement the appropriate prevention strategies for your workplace.
- Ensure travelers follow travel advisories related to COVID-19.
- Plan for COVID-19 illness in your business, including closures, cleaning, communication with staff, contact tracing, and the temporary absence of quarantined staff.