Any business conducting work in the State of Wyoming or hiring a Wyoming resident as an employee must register with the Division of Workers’ Compensation and Unemployment Insurance to have the coverage determined.

Per Wyoming Statute 27-14-101 and 27-14-207 any employer subject to this act shall not commence business or engage in work in this state without applying for coverage under this act and receive a statement of coverage from the Division.

The employer may register and be found to be non-liable/optional in the State of Wyoming for coverage under the Monopolistic Fund, but the registration is required so the Division has sufficient information to determine the employer’s coverage status.

Registration: Wyoming Registered Business and Out of State Employers

Please go to to complete the joint business registration – this must be done first for any employer. This includes owners/sole proprietors as well as contractors, you must register in order to get the exemption letter from the Division.

To access the registration, click on the Register New Business with DWS bullet under the Employer Services header on the lower left. Follow the employer registration process and work through the prompts. At the end of the registration, you should see a Registration Summary. You will want to save that page as a PDF so you can have it for your records. It is also recommended to save a copy of the questionnaire before emailing, faxing or mailing it to one of the locations on the form.

For anything you don’t have an exact answer for, it is okay to enter pending or to be determined, etc. If you do not have a physical address yet, please at least enter the name and/or location of the job site or the county and/or city in which the work will be performed.

If you are an out-of-state company, you will also need to fill out the out-of-state questionnaire. You can submit the out of state questionnaire, copies of registration packet, and any certificate of insurance or proof of current coverage via email to : and

Proof of Compliance and/or Coverage

If you need to show compliance/proof of coverage right away, you can email a request for a temporary certificate of good standing to When completing the request, please provide your business name, mailing address, and FEIN. Be sure to also provide the business name and mailing address of the company requesting this proof so we can generate the proper documentation.

General Assistance

For additional guidance regarding Workers’ Compensation please contact our Employer Services Department at 307-777-6763 or email

For additional guidance regarding Unemployment Insurance please contact the Unemployment Department at 307-235-3217.


Extraterritorial Requests and Agreements

The Wyoming Workers’ Compensation Act provides coverage for employees who are permanently assigned to a Wyoming base of operations. This coverage includes all states in which the employee is temporarily performing work for their employer. The State of Wyoming and the states listed above do not have a formal reciprocal agreement. If your employees are working in any of the states listed above on a short term or incidental basis, the Wyoming state fund will provide workers’ compensation coverage for those employees who are reported to and who file a claim for benefits with the Wyoming state fund, if the employee is not eligible for benefits in the other state.

We have a formal reciprocal agreement with Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Utah,Washington and as the employer is not considered a class code (23xxxx) for construction we can add Nevada. If they are construction we cannot extend coverage and the employer will need to call the other state for their rules. To view the Workers’ Compensation Administrators Directory, click here.

Although an employee working in another state temporarily may be eligible for Wyoming benefits, this does not relieve the employer from any liability or statutory requirements of the other state’s workers’ compensation laws. It is the employers’ responsibility to ensure that they are in compliance with the other state’s statutes. The requirements listed above also apply to Wyoming based employees while working temporarily in Canada or Mexico.